3 Broadway Broad Street Birmingham B15 1BQ
T: 0121 698 8050
Protection for your swimming activities
Swim England members are given insurance cover as part of their membership. This includes affiliated members, teachers and coaches, officials and clubs.
Authorised and recognised activities
Swim England authorised and recognised activities as advised to insurers for clubs and affiliated/registered members apply to the following aquatic disciplines:
Training for and competitive aquatic activity as follows:
- Synchronised swimming
- Water polo
- Open water swimming
The insurance applied to the clubs/members whilst involved with the following club activities:
- Training for competitive swimming
- Competitive swimming
- Teaching and skill development
- Social activities
- Fund raising activities
- Administrative activities
Certain land-based fitness activities are also included for training purposes as long as the coach/teacher is appropriately qualified to deliver the session. These activities are to be agreed with your Governing Body and appropriate risk assessments and risk management records are essential. If the session involves bringing in external coaches or teachers for the activity it is also essential that you check they have the appropriate qualifications and their own insurance in place to deliver the activity.
Swim England receives numerous queries regarding which activities are covered by the insurance policy and the members of the Health and Safety Forum have drawn up the following suggested list of excluded activities for consultation.
The following list of excluded activities is not exhaustive and if you wish members to participate in any activity under the auspices of your club which are outside the core activities relating to the disciplines of swimming which your club traditionally offers please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that we may need to refer the query to the panel of experts appointed by the Swim England Health and Safety Forum and the insurers therefore you should allow sufficient time for your query to be resolved before organising any such activity.
Swim England is aware that many clubs which do not traditionally offer open water swimming activities may, from time to time, wish to do so and therefore specific guidelines will be drawn up providing advice and guidance on this topic.
Excluded Recreational Activities
- Bungee Jumping
- Para – Gliding
- Cliff Diving
- Survival and Assault Course activities
- Paint Ball Games
- Inflatables and bouncy castles dry land indoor/outdoor
- Flying and Gliding – and other forms of aerial activity
- Martial Arts
- Motor Racing
- Horse Riding
- Rock Climbing
- Roller Hockey
- Rugby Football
- Skiing and other winter sports
- Sub – Aqua
- Water Skiing
- Weight Lifting
Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance
This policy gives members protection if they are held responsible or are found to be negligent for causing injury to someone else or damage to someone’s property whilst taking part in swimming, diving and other aquatic activities recognised by Swim England.
Personal Accident insurance
This ‘no fault’ policy provides cover to Swim England members for injuries sustained taking part in swimming, diving and other recognised aquatic activities up to the age of 85.
This policy covers you for:
- Permanent total disablement from any gainful employment or gainful occupation for which the insured person is fitted for by education training or knowledge. A percentage shall be applied to the limit per person under permanent total disablement for some injuries and full details are included with the Club Summary of Insurance Cover provided annually – £30,000 (See FAQ page for full details)
- Death – £5,000
- Loss of two or more limbs or both eyes or one of each – £30,000
- Loss of one limb or eye – £30,000
- Permanent and total loss of speech – £30,000
- Permanent and total loss of hearing in both ears – £30,000
- Permanent and total loss of hearing in one ear – £7,500
- Medical Expenses necessarily incurred in the Treatment of the Insured person – £100
- Dental Benefits (subject to a £50 excess) – £250
- Benefits for persons aged 70 to 85 are limited to death, loss of limbs or eyes
- Dental expenses are reduced by 50% for those aged 70 and over
More information on insurance can be found HERE
All members are automatically affiliated to Swim England.
We require ALL swimmers, poolside helpers, coaches and officials to be members of the club which makes sure they are insured for club activities.
- Swim England also have additional discounts and benefits available to members, current benefits can be found on the Swim England website HERE